Jackson

The Ned R. McWherter West Tennessee Cultural Arts Center

Located at 314 East Main Street in Downtown Jackson, officially it is known as the Ned R. McWherter West Tennessee Cultural Arts Center. Locals simply call it "The Ned," and know it is the place to go to see the finest musical and stage acts available in an intimate, high-technology equipped performing arts theatre.  Advanced technology provides a facility that is of the highest quality with a staging area of over 2,200 square feet, an orchestra pit capable of seating large instrumental ensembles, and an advanced pulley system allowing any type stage production. Special lighting for the theatre can be created and a superior sound system backs performers with absolutely perfect acoustics.  Other facilities include nicely appointed restrooms, a box office and adjacent off-street parking is available.  In addition to a 440-seat, state-of-the-art performing arts theatre, the Cultural Center houses an art gallery in the lobby for traveling and local exhibits. Gallery space is available for receptions, weddings, seminars, meetings, and dinners.  Live shows have featured a wide variety of musical and stage stars, including Kathy Mattea, Nickel Creek, Don McLean, Leon Russell, Marc Cohn, Jim Brickman, "Riverdance" virtuoso Eileen Ivers, Jim Brickman, Hal Holbrook, and Jennifer O'Neill.  For rental information please contact: Diann P. Robinson, Administrator of Cultural Arts 731--425-8397 or Mirasol Fitzgerald, Recreation Specialist 731-425-8396.  For more information about the Ned, call (731) 425-8395 or email dprobinson@cityofjackson.net

 

M.D. Anderson Memorial Plaza

This memorial plaza is located between the two Federal Buildings on North Highland Avenue. It honors the memory of four great men from Jackson: M. D. Anderson, Will Clayton, Frank Anderson and Ben Clayton. The M. D. Anderson Memorial Plaza Bill was presented to Congress by Congressman Steven Fincher and approved by Congress and signed by President Barak Obama on January 3, 2012.While the plaza is named in honor of one of Jackson’s most famous natives, M.D. Anderson, the nine-foot, granite monolith honors not only Anderson, but also Will Clayton, former Secretary of Commerce and Assistant Secretary of State under President Roosevelt and “Father of the Marshall Plan” as well as Ben Clayton and Frank Anderson. These four Jackson natives lead the way nationally in the cotton industry and turned a business that began on the corner of Highland Avenue and Baltimore into the largest cotton trading company in the world. By the year of 1929 Anderson, Clayton & Company had offices in Egypt, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Paraguay, England, Mexico, France, Italy and Germany to continue their lead in the cotton industry. By 1935 the company was literally a global merchandiser of cotton.


M. D. Anderson, a Jackson banker and later President of the Anderson, Clayton & Company in Houston, Texas became one of the richest men in America during the early 1900’s. As the company grew it was necessary for Frank Anderson and Will Clayton to ask M. D. to move to Houston in order to be near larger banks and deeper ports. With this move to Houston, the Anderson, Clayton & Company soon became the largest cotton merchandiser in the world. Upon his death in 1939, his foundation became the recipient of the largest bequest in Texas history. Not only was Jackson native Will Clayton vital to the success of Anderson, Clayton & Company, but was also involved in the Roosevelt administration. He served as Secretary of Commerce and Assistant Secretary of State. Upon visiting war-torn Europe, he became the author of the Marshall Plan. Frank E. Anderson, brother of M. D. Anderson, was a local cotton merchant with his office at the corner of Baltimore and Highland in the late 1880’s. Frank married Burdine Clayton, sister of Will Clayton. Will was also in the cotton business in St. Louis and New York City. In 1904 Frank and Will moved to Oklahoma City where cotton grew bountifully. In 1907 the company became so successful that the men needed a partner to help finance the expansion of their company to Houston. To meet this need M. D. gave up his banking career to move the company to Houston. Ben Clayton, another Jackson native, was involved in the growth of Anderson, Clayton & Company. He was responsible for the development of the overseas shipping operation. Eventually he left the company and formed the Clayton Foundation Research which generously supported the University of Texas at Austin. He founded the Biochemical Institute at the University of Texas at Austin in 1940. Ben Clayton died at the age of 96 in 1978.

West Tennessee Healthcare Sportsplex

250 BancorpSouth Parkway, Jackson, TN 38305;(800) 941-2415; E-mail: sportsplex@cityofjackson.net; Website:  www.jacksonsportsplex.com
New baseball and softball facility that encompasses approximately 70 acres adjacent to The Ballpark in Jackson, home of Jackson’s minor league Seattle Mariners affiliate, the Jackson Generals. The facility includes a total of 17 fields used for regional and national baseball and softball tournaments.

Visit us on: Facebook and Twitter

The Jackson Area Plectral Society

Attracting visitors to the Casey Jones Village now for 25 years from all over Southwest Tennessee and beyond.  Old-time Musicians gather each and every Thursday night in the village for the purpose of preservation and promotion of our areas traditional old-time music. For details go to www.freewebs.com/jacksonareaplectralsociety

Salem Cemetery Battlefield

Cotton Grove Rd., Jackson, TN 38305; (731) 424-1279; Fax: (731) 664-2486; E-mail: jwilcox1279@charter.net; Web Site: www.salemcemeterybattlefield.com
On the morning of Dec. 19, 1862, approximately 1,500 Confederate cavalry, along with Freeman’s Battery with three pieces of artillery under the command of Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, clashed in a 2 hour battle with about 1,000 Federals under the command of Col. Adolph Englemann. Gen. Forrest achieved his objective of pinning down the Federals behind their fortifications in Jackson, thus freeing him to make raids against the Federal rail and communication lines.  Salem Cemetery Battlefield has a welcome center, 5 monuments, a battle map inlay, flagpole, and 2 six pound Napoleon smooth bore cannons on display. The Cemetery is the resting place of Adam Huntsman, who defeated Davy Crockett in 1836 for a position in Congress, causing Davy to go to the Alamo. Salem Battlefield is a self-guided tour. Take I-40 Exit 85 South and follow signs. The battle site is open daily from 8 a.m.-6 p.m.

Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Depot and Railroad Museum

582 South Royal Street, Jackson, TN 38301; (731) 425-8223; Fax: (731) 425-8682; E-Mail: thedepot@cityofjackson.net; Web Site: www.cityofjackson.net
From Hwy. 45 By-Pass, go one block east of main Post Office to South Royal and turn right. A restored turn-of-the-century depot featuring a museum, Amtrak dining car and two cabooses. An elaborate model railroad display reflects Jackson’s history as West Tennessee’s railroad hub. Open Mon.-Sat. 10 a.m.-3 p.m.

Jaxon Records

215 W Lafayette, Jackson TN 38301; (731) 256-1831; www.jaxonrecords.com
Whether you want to just come in and sing “Blue Suede Shoes”, “Mona Lisa”, or some other timeless classic to pre-recorded band tracks that were recorded right here in Jackson, sing to blues, gospel, country karaoke tracks, or if you want to bring your band in to rehearse, record, or come in to do a video of yourself or band, Jaxon Records Recording Studio will provide you with a great experience. Jaxon Records Recording Studio is committed to preserving and catering to, not only the bevy of music talent from the Jackson community, but also to providing an excellent recording plant for singers and musicians from all over the world. Come record with us and feel that Jackson vibe. 

Electro Chalybeate Well

604 S. Royal Street, Downtown Jackson, TN  38301
In the late 1800’s workers discovered a vast underground river of mineral water while constructing Jackson’s first modern waterworks. The “miracle” spring, known for its curative powers, quickly became a regional landmark and gathering place. In 1980, the City of Jackson took steps to showcase the ever-flowing fountain of mineral water by building an 1800’s-style gazebo and park for residents and visitors to enjoy. Free admission.  Open 7 days a week.

The Carnegie Center for Arts and History

305 East College St., Jackson, TN 38301; (731) 410-8621; www.thecarnegiecenter.net
The Carnegie Center for Arts and History has something for everyone. Exhibits tell the history of Jackson and its heritage with exhibits on the Civil War in West Tennessee and the Legends of Tennessee Music Museum where you see Jackson: First To Rock. Visit our exhibits and touch America's music history. Visit the largest collection of Carl Perkins' career, his first electric guitar, photographs, original signed records, albums, singles, acetates, guitars, costumes. A priceless collection like no other. Trace the career of the original Sonny Boy Williamson, Tina Turner, Denise LaSalle, and others.  Jackson was the site of the first Hard Rock Cafe in America, launched by a hometown boy, Isaac Tigrett.  THE ONLY PLACE IN THE WORLD WHERE YOU CAN PURCHASE THE MOST COLLECTABLE HARD ROCK CAFE - JACKSON - T SHIRT. WE ARE OPEN: TUESDAY - SATURDAY 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM GROUPS WELCOME 

 

Century Farm Winery

1548 Lower Brownsville Road, Jackson, TN  38301; (731) 424-7437; E-mail: wine@centuryfarmwinery.com; Web Site: www.centuryfarmwinery.com
Located 1.8 miles off I-40 Exit 74, Century Farm Winery is a family owned and operated working farm that has been in the O’Cain family for 150 years.  Tour the winery and vineyard, taste delicious wines and enjoy tranquil country life style.  Wines include Red Muscadine, White Muscadin, Cayuga, Traminette, Norton (Cynthiana) and Blackberry.  Free concert series “Voices in the Vineyard” Sat. nights from Apr. to Oct. Open 7 days a week 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sun. 1 p.m.-5 p.m. (6 p.m. during daylight savings time).

  Soundtrack of America logo.gif - 22.97 KB